Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Something New

Wednesday, January 27, 2010
Let's talk about interracial dating.

No, Simone isn't black. A few people have asked me that, but she isn't. Still, many people assumed as much, and then asked me how I felt about interracial dating, if I had dated outside my race before, or even if I "prefer" one race to another.

First of all, I don't like the word "race". It's scientifically inaccurate, because we humans have far more in common biologically speaking than most want to admit. The word "race" should really be replaced by "ethnicity" or something along those lines -- but I digress.

I've dated outside my race quite often, particularly with Asian- and African-American women. Of course when I came to Miami, I also dated plenty of Hispanic girls as well. In each of these circumstances I experienced something new, whether it was food, holidays or other customs different than my own.

It's always interesting to see how others react when the prospect of interracial dating comes up. Some embrace it, others say nothing, while another small demographic crack crude jokes. An additional segment ask questions, asking whether I'm "frustrated" with members of my own ethnicity or purposely seek out women that are "exotic" in some way or another.

I answered no on all accounts. Dating has never been fueled by frustrations of any kind, and ethnicity is the last thing on my mind while choosing a prospective partner. That being said, dating outside my ethnicity is an interesting experience -- one that I do recommend to others. Yes, you read that correctly, I recommend it.

I firmly believe that the more we learn about one another in this world, the less prejudice there will be. Simple as that, really. So please, my dear readers, remember color is just that -- color. And if you enjoy my blog, well, what if I were to tell you that I happen to be of a mixed ethnic background myself?


 
◄Design by Pocket, BlogBulk Blogger Templates