Wednesday, February 3, 2010

L'Enfant

Wednesday, February 3, 2010
I don't often post photos on this blog. While my writing includes some strong sexual content, none of it's visual. I like the idea of people reading my blog at work, in their spare time, in public places without fear or hesitation.

This image, however, is neither sexual or even vaguely risque. In fact, it's one of the most beautiful images I have ever seen.

For those who are unfamiliar with this poster, allow me to guide you to Wikipedia for a brief overview. The poster itself is titled L'Enfant, and to date it has sold over 5 million copies around the world.

So, what is it about this image that is just so special? Countless women had it hanging in their bedrooms during the 1980s and 90s. What was it they found so beautiful and/or inspirational? Was it the baby, the man, or both?

My own personal opinion is that the 1980s and 90s represented a turning point in terms of what was acceptable forms of masculinity. As more rigid stereotypes of masculinity were put to rest, men could express more "sensitive" or paternal behaviors without fear of ridicule. When women saw this, it was nothing short of a revelation. Hence, the success of L'Enfant and countless other imitations.

On a more technical level, I think the photo captures what every photographer hopes to capture on-film: a pure, innocent moment. Sure, the model in the photograph (Adam Perry) claimed that he was able to bed over 3,000 women as a result of his fame. But there in that studio, holding that child, he wasn't thinking about bedding women, or probably about the payday he would receive from the job.

No -- he was looking into that child's eyes and thinking nothing but pure, unadulterated wonder.I doubt Mr. Perry was a good enough actor to effectively fake any emotion he wasn't genuinely feeling. Rumor has it he went back to construction work after his modeling career ran out of steam.

So, that's it, folks. I don't have much else to say. I just wanted to share an image I find beautiful and always have. While this blog of mine is the story of a sex worker at its core, I like to include a few deviations from time to time, in order to give you all as broad a picture as possible of who I am.

Take care, and keep reading...
 
◄Design by Pocket, BlogBulk Blogger Templates