Thursday, July 23, 2009

Sperm Donation

Thursday, July 23, 2009
Honestly, sometimes I don't know what to think.

The question of donating sperm to a (hopeful) mother came from a client, no less. She theorized that seeing how I have sex for a living, I would be willing to aid in the reproductive process. Now, let me add that she wasn't requesting any of my sperm, but had a girlfriend that was recently inseminated via IVF with a sperm donor.

Should a woman ever request my sperm, the client asked, would I be willing to give it?

"I never really thought about it," I replied. I slipped on my underwear, suddenly feeling naked and almost vulnerable as her questioning continued. "I don't think I would ever donate to a clinic, if that's what you mean. But if a friend asked..."

"So you would want to know the woman, then?"

"Yeah, I think so. Not to say the people who use reproductive clinics are somehow unworthy. But if I was going to contribute to a child being brought into the world, I'd want to know the mother was decent."

The client then explained that her girlfriend had, in fact, approached a male friend for a donation. He refused, which unfortunately strained the friendship. It seemed he was worried over somehow being liable for money in the future, or even being left custody of the child should something ever happen to her.

"So he wanted peace of mind that his friend couldn't provide," I said. "I understand that, actually. Children have a tendency to freak men out."

The client nodded, adding that she just wanted my opinion. She tried asking men she knew -- including her own husband -- but none had provided a concrete answer. It seems sexual discussions (even ones that focus on reproduction rather than relationships) make men clam up.

"That's what my female friends always say. Obviously I don't have the same hang ups about sex. I don't think I could, given my occupation."

After a chuckle from the client, I was off into the night. First sex, then a bit of questioning, followed by the obligatory cab ride home. All in all, a fairly good night.
 
◄Design by Pocket, BlogBulk Blogger Templates