Sunday, May 17, 2009

Sins of the Past

Sunday, May 17, 2009
My first serious relationship was with a married woman.

I was 19-years-old, still living in the northeast, having taken time off after high school before starting college in Florida. The woman -- I'll refer to her as Catherine -- was stuck in a loveless marriage with a man who worked in finance. He'd take the train to New York City each day, and she'd be stuck by herself in the evening after finishing up at the hospital.

We met at a bookstore on a rainy afternoon. I was in the middle of reading a book about the art of cunnilingus when she glanced over at me in amusement. I smiled back, then asked her what she found so funny. Wasn't it a good thing that I wanted to learn how to perform oral sex well?

"Definitely," she replied. "You just look so young, that's all."

"I'm nineteen. Too young for marriage, but too old for... well, a Catholic priest."

That caused laughter from the both of us -- she because I was saying something politically incorrect, and me because I noticed some old lady had just overheard the joke.

I asked her for her number, not caring if I saw the large wedding ring on her left finger. She attractive -- brown hair and a dusting of freckles across her nose and cheeks, along with rich green eyes that sparkled like emeralds. It took me a few times for her to agree to see me again, but eventually...

I went home with her on our second meeting. We fucked in the bedroom, the shower, the living room (thankfully she remembered the close the blinds) and even her husband's office. I suggested that last one.

The affair lasted for a year, but eventually she broke it off. I was crushed; despite our age difference and the fact that I had just gotten into college in Florida, I still had ideas of us being together. My friends told me she was probably just after a good, quick fuck, and that women in their late 30s hooking up with young guys was all the rage in some circles.

Still, I was naive, and being cut loose hurt.

Catherine filed for divorce soon after, and thanks to proof that her husband was cheating on her -- I fucking knew it! -- she got a nice settlement. She's back on the west coast now, seeing a nice guy her own age. We keep in touch every now and then, but she still doesn't know what I do for a living.

Ironic, in a way, considering it was good practice. Without her, I doubt I'd be where I am today.
 
◄Design by Pocket, BlogBulk Blogger Templates