Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Homesickness

Tuesday, October 6, 2009
It seems a client of mine is desperate to return to California.

This client, she's become something of a regular the past two months. She and her workaholic husband moved to Miami as part of his job, and thankfully he avoided being laid off in the wake of the Economic Crisis.

San Francisco -- her hometown -- is one that really tends to grow on people. Even more so for actual natives, who've been there to witness the city's transformation from hippie haven to the closest thing California has to Manhattan. After having sex, she began to reminisce about the City by the Bay, and how much she wanted to go back.

"This humidity is ridiculous," she said. "Let alone the traffic. And if you don't live in Coconut Grove, Brickell or the Beach, you can't walk anywhere."

"I know," I replied. "I grew up in _______ and still miss it during this time of year. Hopefully I'll manage to sneak in a quick trip to see what autumn is really supposed to be like."

Apparently, autumn is actually quite sunny and warm in Northern California, due to what's known as an Indian Summer. Weekends are meant to be spent outdoors, whether it's shopping in Nob Hill, driving across the bridge into Marin County, or taking a trip to Napa Valley.

"I've always wanted to see the vineyards," I said, and truly meant it. "I'm not much of a drinker -- a glass or two is usually my limit -- but the area looks stunning from all the photos I've seen."

"Oh, it is. You should definitely go. There are plenty of good deals in the winter, as long as you don't mind a little rain."

I laughed. "We've been having a 'little rain' here in Miami since May."

"Yeah," the client said. "And it'll be another month before the weather is bearable again."
 
◄Design by Pocket, BlogBulk Blogger Templates