Thursday, September 2, 2010

New Friends

Thursday, September 2, 2010
It's taken me awhile, but I've got a nice circle of friends here in New York City.

One of them lives in my building, actually. I'll call him Micah. He's a illustrator/graphic designer and has his own business going. Very, very talented guy. It's inspiring to see how he can switch from different visual styles -- from the art deco of the late 1930s to the more modern and streamlined styles of today.

Want to know something amazing? When he asked me what I did for a living, I was able to answer honestly. Of course, when he asked what I was doing back in Miami, it was back to the usual lies and half-truths. Still, being able to say, "I work at a _____ and I enjoy it so far" was pretty refreshing.

Not much else to report, I'm afraid. My parents had a great time in Vancouver for their 25th wedding anniversary, and I suggested they visit Montreal next. Of course, I regretted my saying that seconds after the words left my mouth. Why, you ask? Because my mother suggested I join her and my father.

"We haven't had a family vacation in ages," she said. "You can take off the time from your job, can't you? That's the whole point of working in an office. Health benefits and vacation time!"

"I'm honestly not sure," I replied. "Besides, Montreal is freezing during the winter. Maybe you'd just like to go back to Florida instead--?"

"What, with all the old people? The hell with that!"

My mother's a doll, but a bit of an ageist. Should she walk into an establishment where the clientele is older than 45 she very well may turn up her nose and leave.

"So, are you seeing anyone new?" she asked, changing the subject.

"Yes," I said. "She's great. You can't meet her yet, though."

"And what not?"

"She's a bit of a wild one. I'm not done taming her yet."

"Well as long as she's not a tattooed stripper I think we can deal."

Tattooed? I thought. No, but she has worked a pole in the past...

"Tell dad I say hello," I said. "Have a good weekend."

We hung up just as Simone IM'd me. Would I mind trying on the nipple clamps again? she asked. I couldn't help but laugh at the sheer irony. But of course, I couldn't say no.
 
◄Design by Pocket, BlogBulk Blogger Templates